A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Wednesday 4 June 2008

I remember the nights...

That is the first line of a song by Lindisfarne. And I do remember the nights - right now I remember the nights when I could sleep in my own bed through the hours of darkness.

Yes I am working night shift. In some ways it is easier than I thought - in others it is harder. There are very few calls, and the other bits and pieces that have to be done are fairly easy. The main part of the shift is done by soon after 1, so then it is a battle with the nodding donkey and Mr Yawnie! We have the radio, and I take in something to read, but even so...

The biggest thing is to be alert if the emergency phone rings. That is the number called if there is an emergency, such as a heart attack. When that phone rings, everything is dropped. it is set to top volume, and when it goes off, your heart leaps into your mouth! You have to find out where the emergency is and what sort, so that the right medical staff can be sent to the right location, so it really is a case of someone's life in your hands.

Ok, time to go and face another shift. Guess what the song is that I am listening to now? Another appropriate one - Daysleeper by REM!!

2 comments:

Canadian flake said...

I remember working the night shift too..it was never something I really enjoyed...was always hard to stay awake all night.

hang in there.

jAMiE said...

I like that song!

How are you doing, how is everything with you?