A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Monday 8 September 2008

The Most Expensive Lightbulb in the World?

Well, maybe...

Driving back from St Luke's eysterday, I thought there was something wrong with the headlights on the car. So, being the good motorist I am, I stopped to check, and sure enough, one of the bulbs was out. At least the sidelight was still working, and so was main beam, but the one I use most had gone. So I drove home in the gloom, hoping that there were no police around to stop me (and there weren't).

So off this morning into Douglas. I knew of a car spares place in upper Douglas, so there I went. Next door is a car showroom, so I had a quick glance through what was in the second-hand section. There was nothing that really caught my eye, so I went in to have a skeet (skeet : n a useful Manx word meaning either gossip (as in "what's the skeet?") or to have a look (as in "to have a skeet")). The salesman tried to sell me a new car, but after a test drive over my usual; route, I was not sure if my internal organs were still in their proper places as the ride was so bumpy! Imagine cycling over corrugated iron.

So I handed the keys back without too much regret, but there was a car that had just arrived, and was not even on the forecourt. 18 months old and only 6,000 miles on the clock. A little bit more than I intended to pay and a little bit more powerful, but it was just what I was looking for. So on Saturday, my poor faithful car goes away and I collect my new one.

Oh by the way - I didn't buy the headlight bulb!

2 comments:

jAMiE said...

Wow, how wonderful for you...drive it in good health and safety!

Unknown said...

Wonderful, a new to you car is so exciting. Have fun and don't use all the power it has.
Joanne :-)