A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Tuesday 20 November 2007

Achievement

I was thinking about achievement. I like to watch athletics, which is probably one of the purest forms of sport (drugs excluded) - all competing on an equal footing to see who is the fastest or strongest; who can jump the highest or the longest. All for the gold medal - something that looks good on the mantelpiece.

And then there are other achievements. like Jane Tomlinson who raised money for cancer research, even though she was dying of cancer herself. She was rewarded with a posthumous CBE for her work.

And then there is me. I will never win a gold medal or ride across America for charity. Nor will I get in the Guinness Book of Records. I will never climb Mount Everest or swim the Channel. So I will have to get my satisfaction and sense of achievement from smaller things. Such as swapping a bulb in the car headlight and having it work! Alright, so it may be a little thing, but for me it mattered. Standing in the wind and rain on Ramsey quay yesterday, just so I could be legal to drive home.

One thing I have learnt is to take my satisfaction from the little things in my life. Whether it is completing some embroidery, or as I said, achieving something practical (as I am useless with my hands), I try to find my satisfaction in the small things. Even a neatly arranged section at work can be satisfying, and how small is that?

Someone once said "don't sweat the small stuff". My take on that is instead of sweating the small stuff, try to take pride in it. That way, even though your achievements are small, you do get a lot of them! And small bricks can build a mighty wall.

2 comments:

Canadian flake said...

yes you are so right...ya gotta look at the little achievements you get ...sometimes just getting through the day is an accomplishment...

Unknown said...

Thank you Nik for reminding me that my small things in life are well worth it. I find the only things I do are small in inconsequential. I am at home, don't work and bring money into the house. Now that Arianna is in school full time, I thought I would be working. But due to some things going on here, not big things I am staying at home. I don't mind being here, actually I love it, but some how I still feel like I should be accomplishing more. So I am proud of my small achievements.
Joanne :-)