A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Tuesday 27 November 2007

First blood

Well I did it. My first time as first responder to an accident at work - and I did it right!!

I was in work on Sunday (yes I know what I have said about volunteering, but when a manager looks at me and asks, I find it hard to say no (especially the one who asked me!)) I was in the fitting room having helped a nice elderly gentleman choose some clothes. He was walking away with his daughter when he caught his foot on the display unit and down he went with a bang!

I did everything I had to. I called the duty first aider, made sure the bleeding had pressure applied to it, talked with ambulance control to give them the details. I even made sure I got all the details for the incident report. But most of all, I didn't panic! I had some concerns that when the first time I had to respond, I would bottle it or do something stupid or not be able to cope.

Afterwards, yes I had the adrenaline to deal with and a few other issues - but the main thing is that I did what had to be done. When I rang the daughter in the evening, the gentleman was out of hospital.

2 comments:

Canadian flake said...

wtg and good for you...I am pretty good at keeping a level head in an emergency...then later I fall apart and cry..lmao.

Congrats and keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

I fall apart afterwards as well. But being able to deal with the situation at the time is great! Well done my friend!
Joanne :-)