A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Thursday 6 December 2007

I think it's Thursday...

...but I am not sure. After the last 36 hours, I am not really sure about anything!

Wednesday - just another day of the week, right? Well as far as yesterday is concerned, wrong! It started out as a fairly normal day, then rapidly went off. The bus got in late, though I had time top nip down and do my bit of shopping before going to the canteen for a cup of tea and a sausage sandwich. And that was when the 'fun' began.

I had had a minor migraine attack on Tuesday, so I had the headache. As I sat in the canteen, I could tell my eyes were going off and I was heading into another attack. I took a couple of paracetamol to see if that would ease the pain. I sat, and the eyes got worse. Come 9:30, time to head downstairs. I stood up and went down all right - straight back into my chair (and it was lucky that was behind me or it would have been the floor). After that, it got a bit confused. I will list some of the memories I can recall
  • falling sideways off a chair and being supported by someone's tummy
  • being told to stand up but not being able to use my legs
  • hearing the ambulance man saying 'I am not convinced' (I never found out what about)
  • being put in the CT scanner
  • trying to remember the access code for my phone
  • lying on a stationary trolley feeling it turning round and round
  • being wheeled along endless, cold corridor
The next clear memory I have is being in the hospital ward with my manager sitting next to me. I think that was about 12:30, so I am not sure what happened to the morning. I spent the afternoon and evening in bed, because I had no strength at all in my legs, particularly the left one. I missed lunch, and only had a sandwich for dinner, despite having a packed lunch in my bag (I wasn't hungry).

They settled us down for the night about 10:30, but that wasn't the end of it. With an admission at about 12:30 and another about 2:30, it was close on 4 before I got to sleep. I was awake by 6. The other occupant of the ward, an 82 year old gentleman called Jack who was awaiting the air ambulance to return so he could be flown to Liverpool to get his pacemaker replaced, managed even less than me, because at 5 his pulse dropped and a CCU* team rushed in to make sure he was ok!

And today? Today was waiting to get out. I kept trying my legs, and strength to stand was back by morning, and I could walk unaided by about 2. I got out at about 2:30, and caught the bus home, though the walk from the bus wore me out. Pepsi was glad to see me but I am glad I had some quick meals in the freezer, so I didn;t have to do much. I have sat in front of the TV tonight, too tired to read or sew. An early night with some pain-killers for me. What have you all been doing?

*CCU - Coronary Care Unit

3 comments:

Canadian flake said...

holyyyyyyyyyy cowwwwwwwww...what a day you had...are you ok?

Do they know what caused it?? I didn't know a migraine could do this.

Feel better soon.

jAMiE said...

Oh my gosh...i am glad you are home...take care of yourself okay!

Unknown said...

Nik what ever did they find out of this eppisode?? Please let me know.
Joanne