A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Saturday 15 December 2007

Never trust a daughter

Or beware of daughters saving seats!

It was the Peel pantomime last night. My daughter has been in the chorus for many years, but this year she was cast in one of the main parts. At last I found out that she was the Principal Boy (Prince Handsome!) I have to say, I was apprehensive how she would cope, as she has never had a main role before. I have to say though, even without prejudice, she was great!

I have been to the pantos since Joy started in them. And to be honest, it was one of the best pantos I have ever seen. Not just because of Joy (I am biased so I would say that), but overall. The directing was sharp, the actors knew their lines and they could also ad-lib well if things went wrong (such as audience shouting!) Even when the baddie was about to stab the principal boy (and I was shouting out 'Do it!'), and the fairies were trying to encourage the audience to support them and overcome the baddie, the principal boy lifted her head, looked at the audience and said 'You have no hope'! She is a natural I think!

Any way - the reason for not trusting a daughter. I was told that I had had a seat saved for me, so that I would get a good view. I thought this was normal for the main people in the performance (how naive can I be?) It was a good seat (I tend to sit towards the back as I am taller than many), but the penny didn't drop until the clown said that they needed a bodyguard from the audience. I thought I had escaped when the 'spotlight of doom' went onto someone else, but then finally the truth came through. I was 'the chosen one', and since it had been emphasized that whatever happened, I had to get up and take part, I could hardly back out. I had to go up on stage, put on a coat and a hat like a chicken, then march while singing '500 Miles' by The Proclaimers. It was embarrassing but also a laugh - maybe I will see if I can get in to the panto next year!

However, I will know now not to trust my daughter any more!

3 comments:

jAMiE said...

LoL....lovely, just lovely...i bet you had a blast.

Kudos to your daughter for doing so well...and good on ya dad!

Canadian flake said...

roflmao toooooo funny...wish you had some pictures of that to share...lol.

Glad your daughter did so well and you all had a great time.

Good for you.

Unknown said...

Joy has such a good sense of humor! Congrats Joy!

And yes it can be embarrassing but fun at the same time. I wish I could have been there to see the fun. Too bad pictures can't be taken there.
Joanne :-)