A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Saturday 16 February 2008

Can I sit down now?

Someone in head office has decided that all staff should have the chance to get an extra discount, and also that their friends and family should have a chance to save some money as well. However, I did not notice those head office staff on the tills when we were being run off our feet.

We had a quiet start to the day. Then from 10:30 until 5:30 it was non-stop. When I finally got my afternoon break, my knees had almost set so they would not bend so I could sit down. I don't know how much money we took, but it must be a fair amount. I know we sold a few packs of socks which I need for my 'challenge'.

Did I tell you about my challenge? I am ambivalent as to whether I want to succeed or fail. The object is to increase sales of a certain range of socks by 50%. If I succeed, I will get a bottle of something (and I can choose so it will be really expensive!). However, if I succeed, everyone else will be given a plan to increase their sales too. The general feeling is that it is not our business to create sales plans - that is what managers are for. We feel that too much is being passed down to us - we get the responsibility without the rewards - can you see the mismatch?

1 comment:

Canadian flake said...

sometimes working retail can be such a PITA eh?? But now that I am not doing it anymore I really do miss it...who would have guessed that..lol