A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Saturday 2 February 2008

A very mixed day

Today was a real day of contrasts. As far as work goes, it was very slow, with only a few customers until afternoon. Then the rain started, and people came flooding in. Isn't it strange? You would have thought the bad weather would have kept them at home but no - they want to brave the rain and wind to come out and shop! Not the sort of behaviour I understand for sure!

There was the lady who slipped in the store. I am glad I have learnt to be 'quietly bossy', as today it paid dividends for her. When I got there, she was sitting on the floor holding her wrist, because as she fell, she had put her hand out to break her fall. I examined her arm, and decided to bandage it to immobilize it. The lady was saying she didn't want any fuss, but I was trying to persuade her to go up to the hospital to get it checked out. Eventually, I offered to call a taxi for her, and she agreed. I rang her later as I had said I would, only to be told that she had been told that her wrist was fractured. It seems that my bandaging had helped ensure that the wrist was not too displaced and was easier to reset. So I did something right!

Then I got home to find a letter from the hospital. I have an appointment with a neurologist on the 21st (nothing like an urgent appointment!) The delay suggests that there is something wrong, but it is not urgent. If the scan was clear, then surely they would have said that it was clear in the letter? And if it was life-threatening, they would have had me in yesterday. So it suggests that there is something they can do nothing about. So another 3 weeks of waiting...

And then the best part of the day. I met my daughter, and we had a great Chinese meal together. We were talking in a whole new way - so i hope this is the start of soemthing better. We are hoping to go out for a drink now and then now - a new form of relationship. That made everything in the day seem unimportant - my daughter is what matters!

3 comments:

jAMiE said...

Oh dear, the waiting game...so sorry ..i really hope the time does fly by, i know it will be an unsettling time for you.

I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and time with your daughter...i am sure she is maturing into a lovely young lady.

Canadian flake said...

Ughhhh I hate having to wait like that too...

Glad you had a good time with your daughter...those times are very important.

Unknown said...

I am sure as I read though I will find out what happened from the scan.

But on the note of taking care of people, you are doing wonderfully and keeping a very level head. AND DOING THE RIGHT THING! Wonderful Nik.

Glad you had a nice time with Joy. I hope that close to a year later it is getting even better.
Joanne :-)