A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Thursday 23 August 2007

Knowledge

I am a voice on the phone
One of many you have listened to.
I called you for help – and you helped me.
You learnt of my troubles, my fears and my hopes.
You opened new doors for me to go through.
You helped me along the way,
But how much do you really know me?

I am words on a screen
Appearing through a random chat request.
Sometimes we may share a laugh
And sometimes a tear
But mostly we just pass the time.
I will tell you of a present, and of a past;
Of hopes and dreams, or fears and uncertainty.
Are they really mine? Or am I pretending?
How much do you really know me?

I am a man in the pub.
We have bought drinks for each other.
We have watched the sport and criticised the officials
Spotted the forward pass and the offsides.
We have talked a lot – some of it slurred.
I have revealed some of my vulnerabilities.
But how much do you really know me?

I am the colleague beside you.
We work together – smiling at the customers,
Filling the shelves and taking the orders.
You have seen me laugh and heard my jokes
And seen me quiet when things are on my mind.
How much do you really know me?

I am the face in the mirror.
You see me every morning when you wash
And every evening when you brush your teeth.
Look in a window and you will see a ghost of me.
Look away from the light and see a shadow of me.
I have never told you anything
And yet you know everything
Including the bits I would rather no-one knew.
You have shared the hurts and joys with me
And how much do you really know me?

April 2007

2 comments:

jAMiE said...

That is lovely...i enjoyed it!

Unknown said...

Wow Nik. I didn t know you could write like that! It was wonderful. Could I copy and paste it and send it off to Karina. She would love it as well. She loves poetry as well.
Joanne :-)