A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Tuesday 9 October 2007

Autumn has arrived

Yes autumn is here. How can I tell? When the sun no longer passes the chimney before going down behind the hill. You haven't a clue what I am talking about? Then let me explain...

At the back of my house, the land drops away steeply to the valley floor. About 300 yards away, the land rises steeply to form Peel Hill; an undulating ridge with a maximum height of about 500 feet. Since the hill is west of the house, it means the sun goes down behind it before it sets.

And the chimney? At the bottom of the valley is a small industrial estate and a large diesel-powered power station. The power station is a thing of ugliness and a misery to behold, and includes an almost unnoticeable 280 foot tall concrete chimney. During the summer, the sun clears this with ease, but as autumn progresses, the sun drops lower, and the point at which it goes behind the chimney seems to drop with almost unbelievable rapidity. I always count it as being autumn when the sun gores down behind the hill before getting round far enough to reach the chimney.

And by the way - in the depths of winter, the sun does not even get high enough to go down behind the top of the hill, but disappears behind the side - and that IS depressing!

3 comments:

jAMiE said...

It all sounds lovely to me... = )

Canadian flake said...

The sunsets sound lovely too me too...but I hear ya about winter..blahhhh blahhhh it is coming and it sucks...lol.

Unknown said...

I love how you put things into words. Wish I could do the same. You should see what we have here. The other evening I was on my way to a Creative Memory Party and saw the most amazing fall sunset! It was between two mountains and the clouds were lightly covering it. I wish I had my camera with me at that precise moment. It would have ended up on my face book for all to see the marvel.
Joanne