A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Tuesday 29 January 2008

...and a bad day to follow

Today I learned a new degree of panic.

It was scan-day today. Not Tuesday, but scan-day. I had a nice breakfast, and then it seemed that everything I tried to do made me later. Everything from not being able to find all the paperwork I needed to being stuck in a queue of traffic. As a result, I ended up getting to the hospital late and flustered.

It was not too bad to start with. I was laid down on the bed and then the cage was put around my head. That was bad, but after that i went into the scanner. I immediately pressed the panic button as I was panicking. They fixed a mirror and I just managed to survive the first lot of scans that took about 20 minutes. Then they told me that they needed to do some more, so I was taken out of the machine and given an injection to 'improve the contrast' for my blood flow. It was when they put me back in for the third time that I really panicked! I could not take another moment.

When I sat up on the table I felt horrible. I thought it was bad, but whern I stood up, I walked about 3 paces and then fainted. I thought it was only in films where people walked a couple of paces and then fainted - now I know it is for real. My last recollection was of the nurse (who was small and slightly built) shouting for help as I went down.

The next thing I remember was lying on the floor. It took about 10 minutes to get up, and it was difficult to hear that the next person in was a 7 year old!

After that, I went for a coffee, and then called on Sean, the Disability Employment Officer. I told him some of the things that have been happening at work. I am going to see my GP on Thursday, so I have to work a long day tomorrow.

So that is where things stand now. I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

jAMiE said...

I hope you are okay...so sorry you had such a hard time with your scan, they really are not easy to cope with...hug!

Canadian flake said...

wow that sounds scary...I have never enjoyed those scans either...they are never fun...

Hang in there.