A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Monday 10 September 2007

Technology - a good servant but a bad master

I don't know what it is, but technology has had myself and 2 people I know in real frustration recently. I just hope that it is true that bad things come in 3s, and that is it.

Firstly me. I was trying to put some music onto my phone to use it as an MP3 player (which is part of its design). I followed the manual and used the software provided. I could hear my voice getting shriller and shriller as I tried to explain to the computer that the phone could not be connected in one program and not connected in another. Eventually I gave up and went to bed. This morning I was able to load the music by totally ignoring the software and doing it in a completely different way.

Then there was J. A simple de-installation of a program that was no longer needed - what could possibly go wrong? Well, in this case, plenty! Not only did it remove the program, it also corrupted their MS Word and virus checker, as well as messing up the internet connection. Even going back to restrore points did not correct the problem, so it is off to the repair shop tomorrow. Fun huh?

And finally, there was T. She works part time and uses her computer all day. Due to finish at 2:30 today, she was hanging around for the engineer to sort out her computer until well after that. That caused her to miss a very important phone call, so she was really upset as well.

Computers - don't you just love 'em?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love my computer! As long as I know the program, which are few, then I shake with fear that I have to use it and will mess up the computer! Like once I tried to learn how to play with a photo shop thing and changed one of the pictures and could not get it back to the original! grrrrr.

Any how fun and a pain all wrapped up in one :-)
Joanne :-)