A Celtic Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face,
may the rains fall soft upon your fields.
Until we meet again,
may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Sunday 30 September 2007

How many socks make 5?

Oh joy of joys - it is time for the half-yearly stocktake. For those of you not familiar with retail, this consists of counting everything that is in the shop, so that a value can be put on the stock in the shop. As a result of this, the shop was full of people counting and recounting everything. I was lucky, and I got socks, underwear and nightwear to count (all under the heading of 'Essentials', though for me, nightwear is very much an option, as the only pair of pyjamas I own was last worn when I was in hospital - but enough of me).

Generally stocktake starts off in almost complete silence, as it can be very distrating when you are sounting to hear someone else counting. When I started, they were still putting out the stocktake sheets, and since they are all numbered, the managers putting them out were recording the numbers to check them. I think I ended up having to count one rail 6 times before I was sure I ahd it right - I would get to 5 and then the managers would say a sheet number (such as 541, and I would have to think 'was that 6, 5, 4 or 1 that I counted to?', and so would have to start again. And with nearly all of us having done a part day before hand, which was surprisingly busy, we were not really in the best of frames of mind. So all in all, not the most exciting Saturday night I have ever spent.

And on top of that, there was the temperature in the store. I think they have switched over to the winter heating, which was fine earlier in the week (we did a fine trade in thick coats earlier on when the weather was decidedly nippy) but with it getting milder, we were basically sweating cobs. As I drove home after finishing work, I had just my shirt on and the window open, and it was over 15 minutes before I started feeling cold. I got home, put my uniform into the wash and had a shower, but even then, it was over an hour before I had wound down enough to think about bed.

I am glad I said I wasn't going in this morning. Itis my only day off, and I did not want to get up and be in work for 8. As it turned out, I didn't wake up until nearly 8:30, so I would have been late anyway. I am spending a relaxing day at home, though I have had to iron, and will probably end up sorting papers or sewing. There is rugby on at 4 (there is some on now but I am not really interested in this match), but Ireland play Argentina at 4 and I want to see that. I will have a late lunch/early dinner while that is on. What do you call a meal halfway between lunch and dinner? I know between breakfast and lunch you have brunch, so am I having linner or dunch? If anyone knows, please can they let me know? Thank you.

And somewhere soon I need to get going on my sewing. I have a commission to finish before Christmas, and I really must get down to finishing it. The trouble is, I have so many other things I would like to do instead of that one - but I can do some of it while I am watching the rugby this afternoon.

3 comments:

Canadian flake said...

This brings back memories to me. I worked in clothing stores and have done this sort of thing for about 20 years (although we call it inventory). It always made for a long ad grueling day.

Hope you had a nice day off

jAMiE said...

I bet you are looking forward to your weekend off.

Unknown said...

Being a Canadian as well we call it inventory. Did that many times when I worked in Quilts Etc and monthly when I worked in the Bread Basket. (Bread Basket was not all that long 11 months I think before I went full time at Quilts) Any way a lot of work and hours of it as well.

As for a late lunch/ early dinner it is just that late lunch / early dinner :-)
I know long time ago this all happened and here I am commenting!!
Joanne :-)